Friday, October 15, 2010

Don's daughter Bonnie Foy's remarks from the funeral service

Bonnie with her mom and dad
in the 80s
What a day of celebration this is!!!  Even though dad has been temporarily called away, his spirit will remain with us always.   As we go throughout our daily lives, dad will be with us.   He will watch over us, care for us, and help us with our challenges.  I would like to thank Boni Cook  and Mary Bert for watching and caring for mom and dad for the last 10 plus years.   

Dad and mom frequently came to Utah for 2-day trips.  Not to see Clay and I but to make we were caring for  Grandpa’s little Ashlee in a way which dad approved of.  Dad adored this little girl.   When he came to visit, he would sit  right by her on the couch and sing and watch Peter Pan.  Have your ever known my dad to watch any cartoon, let alone “PETER PAN”!!!  Dad loves all of his grandchildren!!  It did not matter what they did, he may shake his head and give you “THE LOOK” but you are still loved.   Grandpa is proud of you!!!

When we celebrated mom and dad’s fiftieth wedding anniversary dad did not want any big Party.  So on Friday night our family went to the church and had a great time.   Little did mom and dad know, we hand sent out invites to have a party at the house on Saturday night.  I kept telling him to go get out of his manured boots and filthy levis.  He said “NO WAY”!!!  Guess what happened??  So along comes the Sixtieth Wedding Anniversary.   Again invites are sent.  This time his nephew Cal and Shirley had to be used to get him to the church, once again in his manurery boots and levies.   Dad said that night,  “For my Seventieth Anniversary I am going to wear a “TUXEDO”  the entire month of October.”   Well, Dad I am sure you will…..

Mom, dad loves you immensely.  His last words were “Take care of your Mother.”   He has spend the last 64 years caring for you, providing for you and loving you.   Mom always remember how much dad loves you. 

To close my remarks I would like to read a letter I wrote to mom and dad a few years ago.

Dear Mom and Dad:

        Just a note to tell you how thankful I am that you have always put up with me and my nonsense.  When I have needed anything, you have always been there for me.  Whether it was a death (of which I really messed up your trip) or a missionary or a surgery (which was minor) , you have always made me feel loved and accepted and been there. 

        Thank you for staying together, even when times were bad, you still hung in there and kept our family as a unit.  For this, I will be eternally grateful!!  You have always been an example to me and to the kids.  When times were extremely tough, you still kept plugging along and  helping those around you who were less fortunate. 

        I know us kids have not always been easy (ok, dad, we have never been easy), but thank you for always being there and giving us the “common sense” knowledge that not very many people seem to possess.   When we lost Amber, dad, your love and sense of humor kept me “together” and mom, your staying with me for the month following that sadness, kept me from having to go through giving her possessions away by myself. 

        Thank you for the many, many kindnesses you give Ashlee every trip you come to the house.  Very few people acknowledge her existence or presence and are afraid of her.  But every time you come, you both go out of your way to make her feel important.  This touches me in a way which I will never be able to repay.  

        Thank you for coming to UTAH to have mom’s surgery.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to help in some little way.  Being so far away, I do not get to do much to help you.  Thank you!!  

        I just wanted to thank you for everything before there isn’t any more.  No more hugs!  No more being able to reach up and twist your ears!  No more hickies on your cheeks.  No more sucking up your hair in an electric clothes brush!  No more of mom’s laugh and dad’s teasing!   No more phone calls (which you think we spend too much time on)! 

        I thought you would be here for Christmas but since you are not, I just wanted you to know and feel how much I love you and miss you.  Sometimes, what we care about and love most, goes away before we get the chance to say “I Love You”.  I want you both to know how much I love and appreciate you in my life.  Heavenly Father blessed me with you both and gave me great “Tender Mercies” by letting me have such special parents!!!        ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU ARE LOVED!!!

No comments: